Vacancy: Language Officer
Type: Full time
Open to experienced language professionals in Ghana, Africa or beyond.
Location: Accra, Ghana (In person or remote)
About Kabod Group
Kabod Group (KG) is a Christian organization providing consulting and training services in Research, Knowledge Management (KM), eLearning and Languages (interpretation and translation from English to French, Portuguese, and over 30 African languages). Kabod has:
- Co-founded the Association of Language Companies in Africa (ALCA) to increase professionalism, accelerate advocacy for excellence and application of global standards in LSPs in Africa.
- Created the network of African Language Translators and Teachers (ALATT), a centralised platform fostering learning and collaboration among over 1400 professionals in African languages. Free to join here
- Launched the Marketplace of African Language Translators & Interpreters (MATI), to ease access to gigs, jobs and consulting opportunities among language professionals. Now having 209 members and you freely join here
- hosts of the podcast on African Language Technologies and Tools which celebrates innovators who create practical tools to ease the use of African Languages, as creating Akan dictionary, African keyboards, API etc.
- Hosts Kabod Language Talks where several language professionals discuss trending issues in localization and language matters to come up with solutions and recommendations.
Our clients include both nonprofits and for-profit organizations operating in Africa, Europe, Latin America, and Asia. We encourage you to read our capability statement to know more about our areas, services, values, and vision.
This position requires an ambitious, proactive, and results-driven professional. People just attracted by the economic and materials benefits of this position aren’t welcome. We are seeking purpose-driven language professionals, who really want to see African languages valued and respected across the world and are ready to work hard to make it happen one step at a time. The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years’ experience managing translation or localization projects along with excellent client-facing, organizational and problem-solving skills. He/she will report to the Admin and the Managing Director.
- Acting as the primary point of contact for clients and coordinate implementation of annual workplan by collaborating with Kabod’s team, translators and other freelancers.
- Collaborate with partners in the coordination of the Association of Language Companies in Africa and the organizing of the African Language Conference (AFLC) and other internal projects such as the NLP Africa Summit and the African Translators and Interpreters Awards
- Lead the planning and organization of the podcast on African language technologies and tools (ALATT) and the monthly KLS Talk with LSP companies in Africa and beyond.
- Serve as editor of the quarterly magazine on LSPs news, resources and practices in Africa.
- Work with clients to understand their requirements, establish timelines and cost estimates and ensuring all contractual obligations are met.
- Bachelor’s degree in linguistics, translation, or a related field.
- Strong passion for African culture and languages with a desire to make a significant contribution to the growth of the language industry in Africa and globally.
- Mastery of online collaboration tools and a strong work ethic and responsibility, especially for those applying for the remote position.
- Strong project management experience. PMP Certificate appreciated.
- Enjoys teamwork and knows how to use LinkedIn, Google Alert and MS Teams.
- Attention to detail, with an ability to spot errors.
- Love working with people of diverse backgrounds and nationalities.
- Female applications and people with disabilities are highly encouraged.
- Health and wellness benefits such as access to coaching, devotional practices, fitness and nutritional services, crisis counselors, and mental health assistance.
- Access to professional growth and development (library access, e-books, access to professional courses and training, etc.)
- Regular traveling and networking opportunities.
- Appreciation programs and team gatherings.
- Receive guidance and mentorship from experienced language professionals.
- Access to at least 20 monthly trainings (online and in-person) to boost professional and career growth.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit:
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV) with references included.
- a concise one-page Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
- LinkedIn profile
All must be sent to email@example.com, with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any incomplete application shall automatically be dismissed and do ensure to include the JOB TITLE in the subject line of your email. Should you not receive a response within two (2) weeks after the deadline, kindly regard your application as unsuccessful.
Closing date: 19th January 2023 at 5pm GMT